Friday, July 14, 2017

MLP:EG Specials Review - Dance Magic, Movie Magic, & Mirror Magic (Episodes 1-3)


It's not saying much really that the Equestria Girls spinoff hasn't improved itself lately and has rather gone downhill after the flawless 2014 sequel that is Rainbow Rocks. With the specials now in store on television as an attempt to try something new at the franchise of MLP, I shall be doing a retrospect review on them all in one post here. And before I get started, none of them are that good, so for these three reviews in one, don't expect me to be that positive about these so-called specials by my own standpoint.


If you were to cross The Show Stoppers over with Rarity Takes Manehattan and put the ponies into the human world, then you would preferably get Dance Magic. As a plot that revolves around the Human Five, Sunset, and Sci-Twi trying to compete to get the best music video to earn some money after a car wash fundraiser job deadline, it isn't entirely bad as the overall song (and music video to an extent) with three of the Shadowbolts and our seven main characters, but it is flawed in some other senses.

Rarity isn't at her greatest when she comes up with the idea of making her own music video and just spilling out details and secrets to the Shadowbolts at Sci-Twi's old school, which really makes you wonder what she was thinking when coming up against them. The Shadowbolts also aren't helped much by the fact that they haven't seemed to have learned from the events of Friendship Games, and rather haven't changed which doesn't help add a fair amount of potential to them even in the slightest. And the last is that basically tries to copycat both episodes I said Dance Magic ripped off to make it seem like nothing new to the franchise other than showing what The Show Stoppers is like primarily in the human world as I said.

Overall, Dance Magic is the third installment in both series I give a dislike to after Stoppers and Somepony to Watch Over Me. It's tolerable at best, but is nothing new in either its moral or its story, and by the end of day, I find my self considering one of my favorite "bad" installments of the franchise that I can take.



Sci-Twi has been one of my lowest ranked characters of the franchise for her total whininess, but for these first two specials, I could admittedly tolerate her at most even though her status in the "cool" or "stupid" character factor haven't exactly changed.

The one other factor that I'm afraid is taking me off topic as to anything at least half decent about this flop is one of the most recent characters of the spinoff; Juniper Montage! As a character who's straight up bratty and unlikable, although I can take her compared to Timtin Spreiber, she's a character who feels both bankrupt and dead on arrival since DOA can best describe the anything else even without Everfail. Getting to the plot however, it's best described as both boring and gimmicky. We're supposed to some Indiana Jones-referencing sets via Daring Do's scenes, but it's really just an excuse to show what the genuine character herself is like in the human world and nothing else really. With even pointless cameos like those recycled Power Ponies costumes and Juniper just ruining all the fun on set, it's painfully predictable both in its reception and the overall plot in general.

I mean seriously, could you NOT have predicted that Juniper WAS the hooded figure all along?



Now this special is where I ask "What were Rachel Vine and Dave Polsky thinking?!" This one literally makes no sense and confuses me from Point A to B, so where do I even start?

When I said Juniper Montage was terrible in Movie Magic, well, if you compared her to her Mirror Magic self, then that's nothing. She's even worse as a selfish brat who wants revenge on the Human Seven, and Starlight (despite Glimmy not being affected as an improved character from the poorly constructed sixth season in the main Friendship Is Magic series), and her redemption by the very end makes Starlight's look like Discord's and Sunset's. There's also no real explanation or logic as to how that magical mirror is possible other than just- well, MAGIC, and that's no surprising shame considering this is some terrible gimmick that's like something out of Beauty and the Beast. These factors and Juniper's character being ten times worse all add up to a recipe of total disaster that makes it seem like false advertisement, with an even stupider story and forced moral that just shoves it down your throw to accept others and forgive them instantly instead of giving them the time they clearly need to develop and learn.

There's virtually no reason for even the most die hard fan of the spinoff to give this a watch, and if not for Everfail and To Time a Finale Badly breaking its fall, Mirror Magic would easily rank as the worst installment of both franchises of MLP combined.

NEGATIVE 2.5/5

Final Thoughts

Am I the only one who thinks THIS scene of Sunset returning to Equestria
briefly in Mirror Magic is better than the specials themselves in general?

The three specials of the spinoff so far all come to a conclusion that its best to either put Equestria Girls out of its misery, or just give it a remake if Meghan McCarthy can't spice it back up (even if she tried her hardest). Everything as Zack and I both have discussed in this series has lost potential after the second installment and other than Sunset herself, I have no interest in EG anymore, and if anymore specials do come, I'm just wanting to get them over with just to rant about them during reviews. If I AM suddenly surprised one day by a GOOD special, who knows?


NOTE: I won't be posting anything next week since I'll be bonding with my cousins elsewhere. Keep that in mind and I guess I'll see you all in the last week of the month sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment