Monday, June 19, 2017

MLP:FIM Review - Not Asking for Trouble (S7, E11, P144, OE154)


Party Pooped is arguably one of MLP's worst efforts based on its offense stereotypes of bizarre characters that are the yaks (apparently they're a part of Equestria's royalty, and that makes no sense by my standards), particularly the leader of those stereotypical yaks; Prince Rutherford. By now, it's been two years since they've made an appearance on the series, and with Not Asking for Trouble, I feel their factor and status of characters has not changed at all whatsoever. So my question for Hasbro is; what were they seriously thinking?! (Now I may have said plenty of great things about every previous episode, but don't expect to show any respect towards Party Pooped's sequel here)


Pinkie Pie is invited to the rustic village of Yakyakistan, where she partakes in the yak holiday of Yikslurbertfest to prove her understanding of yak culture. During their customary stomping ritual, Pinkie and the yaks accidentally cause an avalanche that buries the entire village in snow, leaving them without food or shelter. Unable to dig the snow away on their own, Pinkie offers to gather her friends to assist the yaks, but the proud Prince Rutherford stubbornly rejects any outside help and opts to wait for the snow to melt instead. Pinkie disregards the prince and rallies her friends to secretly remove the snow while they sleep. Awakening the next morning to find the snow gone, Rutherford and the yaks commend Pinkie for helping them without their asking, and make her an honorary yak.


Once again lacking anything the from the good episodes of its own particular season, Trouble goes down as one comes off as one of Friendship Is Magic's terrible efforts for more than just the reason of those horribly unlikable yaks. For one, the plot makes for one of THE most boring I've ever had the opportunity of sitting through as I never feel entertained whatsoever. I mean yes, characters like them need backstories to develop more, but even still, their's was of no interest to me, and Pinkie making up a similar situation of story as to how she and her friends can help the yaks without them rejecting it doesn't seem at all bearable. And I have nothing to say about Pinkie and her part here (not to mention any of the rest of the Mane Six) as she (and her friends) makes the overall plot lead up to basically nothing just like she did in the yaks' debut episode which once again adds nothing.

Another one of my major grudges with the episode is especially the yaks' dialogue and feels equally as cheesy and terrible as their's in the episode's predecessor. It doesn't help that the humor feels rather forced and random, not to mention it makes no sense whatsoever since this is the sluggish plot we're focusing on. Need I mention that there's no real moral and most definitely when I'm trying to figure what it clearly is only confuses me? I mean if someone can tell me what the actual moral is, then maybe I'll try to see just how it feels that way in NAfT, but if nobody knows, then I don't care at all. Whatever the case, it'll be hard for me to understand anything Trouble tries bring across via its storyline.


Here's one of the first things I have to say about my final thoughts as a message to Hasbro: "Please DON'T bring back any detestable characters who have been dead on arrival." I mean why on earth did newbie writer May Chan think bringing the annoying and stereotypical yaks back to develop them in the same manner would ever be a good idea when Nick Confalone already tried and literally failed at it only two years earlier via Season 5's Party Pooped? Because now we have a sequel that's equally awful based on that factor. I know some people with rant about me for panning Not Asking for Trouble strongly, but the way I see it, characters like the yaks have no potential hope in the future.

Being Season 7's one and only bad and unbearable episode so far, Not Asking for Trouble ranks among my Top Ten Worst Episodes of the Series in general (at least if I'm not including any of the EG spinoff films). I know not even Season 4 comes off as perfect with only three episodes I don't favor (with only one making my least favorite episodes category), but NAfT in the end results in another installment that lacks heart, watchability, or complexity, and if I were Hasbro and wanted to keep giving this fourth generation more and more potential, and if Chan wants to go from a terrible start to a more tolerable newcomer for the show's crew, I would in no way bring the yaks back for a sequel or follow up episode.


May Chan may have made Not Asking for Trouble very brightly colorful and spot on in its sound design - the yaks' voiceover roles and especially the dreadful dialogue not withstanding - but the graphics and sound departments are just about the one and only thing she ever gets right about the episode.

3 comments:

  1. It must be depressing constantly being all negative all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, other than THIS and Fame and Misfortune, I have nothing else negative to say about Season 7... but yeah, even in the slightest, negativity sucks.

      Delete
  2. They need to just axe the yaks (intentional rhyming) I say.

    ReplyDelete